A JOURNEY TOGETHER
Typically a Spiritual Direction session lasts one hour and usually occurs on a monthly basis, with exceptions as needed and agreed upon. Unlike counseling, which tends to be more intensive and short term, the Spiritual Direction relationship might be better thought of as walking together and therefore may be long term if the directee chooses to incorporate this practice as a regular part of their spiritual formation.
“Dialogue continually moves from the surface to the depths, from the external to the internal.”David G. Benner
WHAT DOES A SESSION LOOK LIKE?
Spiritual direction at its core is about listening well and observing where God is at work. The conversation is aimed at deepening a person’s relationship with God. “Do you have a sense of where God in this?”
- A spiritual direction session will often begin with a period of silent listening for God, and then a prayer. We then turn to thoughtful conversation. We are not in a hurry, but prefer to attend to the slow work of God in our lives with patience. Perhaps additional pauses for prayer and reflection will be part of that conversation. Together we are listening for God, paying attention to the Spirit’s work throughout the conversation.
- A person meeting with a spiritual director will come prepared to share briefly the circumstances of their current life, the concerns or questions they carry. Then together we would practice good listening, asking thoughtful questions, praying reflectively. Always seeking clarity, always seeking God.
- We meet not to problem-solve, or fix, but to observe life, discover God in that life, and be attentive to his promptings. Our focus is on God and his subterranean work in your inner life.
- This is your time, you are in charge. Although a café conversation would be delightful, this Is not that. There is a different physics of time that takes places during spiritual direction. We are not in a hurry. Silence and reflection are welcome partners in this work.
- Spiritual directors are companions on the journey. The Holy Spirit is the Director.
- Our time together is confidential. Nothing you share will be discussed outside of this context unless you choose to.
“Intense listening is indistinguishable from love, and love heals.”Alice Fryling
WHO MIGHT BENEFIT?
Spiritual Direction is for anyone who has questions about their life’s purpose, direction, or calling. An open heart and open mind are the only requirements. If you are seeking:
- A greater awareness of God’s presence in all of life
- A deeper connection to your true self, others, and creation
- New spiritual reflective practices
- To increase your capacity to discern God’s will in the decisions before you
- A renewal or deepening of faith, hope and purpose
- Clarity in the midst of a spiritual “desert”
HOW MUCH DOES A SESSION COST?
The fee is $60 USD for a one hour session. You can pay conveniently and securely through PayPal. (If you don’t already have a PayPal account, you can easily set one up through PayPal.) You can also use PayPal to send funds even if you don’t have an account. You can always choose to mail a check prior to your session.
WHERE WILL OUR CONVERSATIONS TAKE PLACE?
In the Cincinnati, Ohio area, we would meet in a home office in Norwood, Ohio. If you are outside the Tri-state area, and this is increasingly common, we can arrange for sessions by Facetime, Skype, Zoom or phone.
For more information, or if you would like to schedule a free initial consultation, please connect with us on the CONTACT page. Sessions can be scheduled as face to face meetings, or via Skype, Facetime, or Zoom.